Sunday, February 1, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 1

Day 1

NOTE TO READER: As a part of Sugar City's fun-a-day project, every day in February I am going to do the following:

A) Set my iTunes library on “Shuffle” and listen to the first song that comes up
B) Write a paragraph or two about a memory that the song makes me think of
C) Write and record a brief acoustic song/demo based on that memory*

So I hope it's good. You can follow the project through this blog or on SoundCloud or on Twitter. And you can check out my other fun-a-day projects from February 2013 and 2014 by clickin' the links! Here we gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

TODAY'S SONG:
“One More Goodbye” by M. Ward


This song is from a 3 disc compilation from Merge records called “Old Enough to Know Better: 15 Years of Merge Records.” That was probably my first exposure to M. Ward. I remember reading about the comp online, knowing it was a massive amount of music for very little money. I also knew that there were a few bands that I loved on Merge records, like Superchunk, Spoon, Neutral Milk Hotel, and The Magnetic Fields. So when I saw it at the now deceased Home of the Hits in Buffalo, it seemed like a great way to discover some new bands. I ended up only really liking songs I already owned by artists I already knew about. M. Ward was someone I was interested in back then, but I've never pursued his music that much, so this song has been left unplayed for several years on my computer. But I will say that I am enjoying this song quite a bit on this cold Super Bowl Sunday morning.
Back in my college days, I would take frequent trips up to Buffalo whenever I was home on a break to visit the music stores and stock up on CDs before going back to Fredonia where there were none. I liked having an hour long car ride before hitting the shops, the excitement building over which CDs you'd be coming home with. We would walk up and down Elmwood, hit New World Record first, then down to Home of the Hits. Maybe we would go to Niagara Falls, peak over the edge, then head home listening to new music. I had a craving back then, an addiction to music. I remember the urgency I had, flipping madly through the CD bins, desperate for something new from somebody I loved.
Sure do miss this place
Ok, and finally here's my song based on that memory:




*Why does the song have to be acoustic? Because my electric guitar is currently out of commission.
Why does the song have to be brief? Because I'm busy, tired, and lazy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment