Sunday, February 15, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 15

Day 15

TODAY'S SONG:

"New Partner" by Mark Kozelek


So my iTunes took me from a band I don't know yesterday to one of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters today. Good job iTunes. I was hoping that one of Kozelek's projects (Sun Kil Moon, Red House Painters, solo) would be popping up during this project. For a while, I was having mini-arguments with Kayleigh about Sun Kil Moon. I'd be listening to them and she would say, “They're your favorite band.” I would say, “No, they're up there, but they're not my favorite.” She would look at me skeptically, then move on to more important issues. Then I bought Benji this summer and that pretty much solidified it; I can say with some certainty that Sun Kil Moon's my favorite.

Postcard from Lake Placid.
I guess this immediately brings me back to when Kayleigh and I moved to Lake Placid and were living in her mom's basement for a little while. By that time, I had felt like I had been living under a rock for a while, not paying any attention to the new music coming out. Suddenly there were a couple new Mark Kozelek and Sun Kil Moon releases available, so as soon as I had a little extra income, I ordered them online.

Around that time, I remember taking Marsha's dog Tigger for a walk around a little road near her house and calling my brother, Jory. While we were talking, I really took a good look at where I was for the first time, and saw how I was surrounded by beautiful distant mountains in a sparsely populated pine forest. It was an awesome, humbling feeling.

We went into the village of Lake Placid and had taken a quick walk down Main Street in early August. I was talking to my mom on the phone, who told me that living there would be a great experience. I could have a lot of material to write about. I remember looking into Mirror Lake, the reflections of the mountains and the little houses on the other side, trying to imagine the upcoming year and not really coming up with much.

Kayleigh, me, Lake Placid.
Of course, it was an amazing experience. I didn't do much writing though. I didn't play much music. I guess I've been trying to make up for that ever since.

Heeeeeeere's my song:




  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • Day 5: "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  • Day 6: "Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies
  • Day 7: "Type Slowly (live)" by Pavement
  • Day 8: "Get Lost" by Tom Waits
  • Day 9: "The Monkey Versus The Robot" by Piebald
  • Day 10: "Omaha" by Tapes 'n Tapes
  • Day 11: "Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs
  • Day 12: "6th Street" by Space Wolves
  • Day 13: "Protagonist" by They Might Be Giants
  • Day 14: "Mellow Out" by JEFF the Brotherhood
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment