Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 3

Day 3

TODAY'S SONG:
“If” by The Flaming Lips


Here's the danger of this project: My computer has a bunch of songs that I have never listened to before and, therefore, don't really have any memories attached to them. “If” is a good example of that. Since moving back to Buffalo 3+ years ago, I've checked out a lot of music from the library. Many of these songs sit on my hard-drive, waiting for a fair chance, while I ignore them entirely. But hey, I suppose there must be a memory in there somewhere.

I remember at least a few times placing this CD into the player of our car. It just never snatched my attention like Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots did several years ago. This song, “If”, actually has a pretty nice melody if you listen to it over and over again like I am right now. But Yoshimi was filled with catchy melodies, despite the fact that one of them is obviously taken directly from Cat Stevens. I seem to remember playing this in the car while my wife Kayleigh and I were driving to Lake Placid for a holiday. We probably got through five or six songs before we switched it out. So let's switch gears and remember something:


Wife.  And dog.
Most of the time, the trip to Lake Placid starts early in the morning when the Sun is in our direct vision as we head north east up the state. It's fun to notice how the flatlands of Buffalo slowly begin to rise into hills and, over the course of six hours, eventually turn into the Adirondack mountains. Almost immediately, the dog in the backseat tries to get into the front to sit on Kayleigh's lap. We push her back, and she gives us a hurt look, like she's saying, “I belong up there, please stop messing around.”
 Eventually she gives up, and she may or may not puke in the backseat before we make it to Starbucks for the first cup of coffee. We take turns picking music or podcasts, play a car game or two. And I'll usually ask, “Subway or Taco Bell?” around an hour before we get to Watertown, and Kayleigh always says, “Nope.” The last stretch of Route 3 is always hard, even if it is beautiful. It just always seems like you're close, then you see a sign that says, “Tupper Lake – 100 miles.” So we stop at Stewart's, take Addie for a walk, hope she won't puke for the rest of the trip. When we do get to Tupper Lake, we remember the time we saw the middle-aged lady on a motorcycle whose breast was hanging out of her shirt. And we go through Saranac Lake, past the apartment building where we used to live, and shortly thereafter, we are home.

And here's my song:

No comments:

Post a Comment