Thursday, February 19, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 19

Day 19

TODAY'S SONG:

"Our Singer" by Pavement

I was wondering if I would have a repeat artist on this list. So there's another Pavement song, which is not surprising since I have about one billion Pavement songs on my computer.

“Our Singer” is the final track on Pavement's debut album, Slanted & Enchanted, which is also in my Top 10 albums of all time, if not number 1. So I've obviously got a long history with this song and this album. Here are some random thoughts I'm having listening to it now:

Going to Erie in the Summer of 2008 to meet up half way with my friend Jordan from Pittsburgh. We ate at Olive Garden and then he gave me a sedated little kitty named Dr. Bruce.
Dr. Bruce Marcus, ca. 2010
Driving my mom's red '92 Impreza to Point Gratiot with my friend Jeremy, playing frisbee on the beach, swimming out into Lake Erie, pretty sure I could make time stand still if I really tried.
Point Gratiot, ca. ???
Driving to Buffalo with my friend Sean, listening to a bunch of mid-90s rock like Pavement and Superchunk, deciding we were going to start our own mid-90s rock band in the mid-00s. We called the band Lane Shift, named for a sign we passed on the 90 East. I recorded a few Lane Shift demos that summer on a 4-track recorder, and one more recently for my first fun-a-day project.
Lane Shift, ca. 2001
Dragging a suitcase through downtown Pittsburgh to the Greyhound station, where I sat listening to my headphones waiting for the bus to Erie. I watched this guy walk in and a girl ran across the station and leaped into his arms. They were kissing and embracing for several minutes while I listened to Julie Doiron and pretended not to notice.
The Greyhound station in Pittsburgh,
slightly updated since the release of
the Simon & Garfunkel song, "America."
Playing my Les Paul while staring out the window at the trees finally starting to sprout some leaves after a long and brutal winter.
Dr. Bruce Marcus, ca. 2014
And whoa, from all that, here's my song:




No comments:

Post a Comment