Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 24

Day 24

TODAY'S SONG:

"Spiderwebs" by No Doubt


Unbelievable. Yesterday I was in the car with Kayleigh on our way to work and this song came on a mix I had made for her for Valentine's Day. And I thought, “Well, if 'Spiderwebs' comes on shuffle I'll have no problem coming up with a memory to write about.” But I also thought it was very unlikely that it would come up on shuffle with only five days left in the project. Yet here we are, me and No Doubt, on Day 24.

So this obviously reminds me of our wedding. Rather than hire a DJ, Kayleigh came up with the brilliant idea to have people write down songs that they would be willing to dance to on their RSVPs. We used the RSVP responses to create a playlist on my iPod, Kayleigh's Uncle Tom brought some speakers, and we had our dance music.  

I was shocked by how amazing my wedding was. It's impossible to describe how it feels to be with the person you love and surrounded by nearly everyone you love and care about. You look out into a small sea of faces, and each and every one of them is important. Pretty sweet.


The ceremony was lovely. We stood by this structure made of fallen trees that Colin and I had put together (mostly Colin), flanked by our groomsmen/ladies, with Addie biting a stick and getting upset about distant barking. Our flower girl was my little cousin Sabrina, in a dress that Kayleigh made (matching Addie's bandanna). The judge gave a powerful speech...and then we were married! Just before the rain started. Perfect timing!

The rain only lasted for a little while before the weather got really beautiful. The sky became pink and it was never too cold. We ate some amazing burritos provided by Kayleigh's restaurant, Jory and Sarah gave some speeches, and then the dancing began.

The dancing was tons of fun. We had a big ring of dancers going for “Hava Nagila.” Sabrina tried her best to get the tired people off the couches and onto the dance floor. The big hit of the night though was “Spiderwebs,” which had been requested by our friend Liv.  When this song started, people who'd been sitting outside bolted to the dance floor. The whole building probably sank an inch or two from all the jumping we were all doing.

Who knew people like this song so much? I don't know why I wasn't expecting it, but it was the best. Also the best day of my life, other than maybe the day I met Kayleigh. Or the other day when I ate that really big burrito... I suppose that'll be the debate I have with myself for the rest of my life.

Here's my song, quoting a little bit from my vows and heavily from "Spiderwebs."



  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • Day 5: "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  • Day 6: "Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies
  • Day 7: "Type Slowly (live)" by Pavement
  • Day 8: "Get Lost" by Tom Waits
  • Day 9: "The Monkey Versus The Robot" by Piebald
  • Day 10: "Omaha" by Tapes 'n Tapes
  • Day 11: "Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs
  • Day 12: "6th Street" by Space Wolves
  • Day 13: "Protagonist" by They Might Be Giants
  • Day 14: "Mellow Out" by JEFF the Brotherhood
  • Day 15: "New Partner" by Mark Kozelek
  • Day 16: "Love Me, I'm a Liberal" by Phil Ochs
  • Day 17: "Snowball" by Louis Armstrong
  • Day 18: "Faites De Beaux Reves" by Julie Doiron
  • Day 19: "Our Singer" by Pavement
  • Day 20: "Calgary" by Bon Iver
  • Day 21: "The Whole of the Law" by Yo La Tengo
  • Day 22: "Tonight You Belong To Me" by Eddie Vedder
  • Day 23: "Look Forward To The Moon" by Lane Shift
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment