Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 11

Day 11

TODAY'S SONG:

"Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs

This song comes straight from a compilation CD that came with a Mojo magazine. I heard about Mojo from Ben, a big music buff from Buffalo, and his then-girlfriend Gioia, the owner of the Downtown Diner in Lake Placid where Kayleigh was working while we lived in the Adirondacks. I think we'd been talking about music and guitar magazines that I'd been picking up at the Borders in Plattsburgh. They told me Mojo was high quality music journalism and each magazine always came with a mix CD. Next time Kayleigh and I were in Plattsburgh, I noticed that this particular Mojo CD had an awesome Nick Cave song on it, so I picked it up. All of the songs are Hell or Devil themed, thus titled: “Mojo Presents...Highway to Hell.”

So this clearly brings me back to our Lake Placid and Saranac Lake days. Especially early on, when we would drive to Plattsburgh to visit Liv, who was majoring in trombone there. We saw a college production of Rocky Horror Picture Show that first Halloween, went out to the bars where the college kids drank, stayed on a couch at Liv's apartment, and grabbed a giant delicious breakfast in a restaurant with a big red roof.

Trips to Borders were always a highlight for me while we lived up there. An hour long drive really makes a shopping experience that much more exciting (I know I already talked about that a bit on Day 1). We listened to the Avett Brothers on repeat while passing so many pine covered mountains, cow farms, old houses spread out across the snowy road. For a short period we went to Plattsburgh every Monday to take our dog Wally to puppy school at PetsMart. He loved being able to “socialize” (or bite) with the other dogs, he loved our instructor Chelsea, and he loved the myriad treats he would receive during a session.

Yep. Great times in Northern New York.

Here's my little ditty based on this memory based on "Seasons in the Abyss":




  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • Day 5: "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  • Day 6: "Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies
  • Day 7: "Type Slowly (live)" by Pavement
  • Day 8: "Get Lost" by Tom Waits
  • Day 9: "The Monkey Versus The Robot" by Piebald
  • Day 10: "Omaha" by Tapes 'n Tapes


  • No comments:

    Post a Comment