Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 4

Day 4

TODAY'S SONG:

"Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan

Well here's a song I love. It's probably my favorite song off Machina. The Smashing Pumpkins were my favorite band for a very long time. When I learned that they were breaking up, I was devastated. However, I didn't actually buy Machina for another year or two after they'd played their “final” show. I'm a sucker for concept albums, and even though the concept for Machina falls short of spectacular by a long shot, I totally bought into it. “Age of Innocence” was the last song on that record and in my opinion a great wrap-up to the album.
Yes.
I used to listen to this album on a portable CD player a lot, either walking up and down Temple St. in Fredonia, to my friend Sean's house (a fellow Pumpkin-head), mowing lawns, or while driving to Lake Erie and sitting in the parking lot for no reason. This particular recording I remember getting in college, either from Sean or from my roommate Panfilo, where Corgan plays some songs solo-acoustic for a live audience at some Atlanta radio station. He gives little interviews in between. But I've always found the Pumpkins are a lot more enjoyable when Corgan keeps his mouth shut.

No.
Either way, I remember listening to these recordings in Pittsburgh while I was in college. I took an Amtrak to New York to see Zwan (Corgan's brief post-Pumpkins band) with my brother Jory. I was still lamenting the end of my favorite band and hungry for more. I'll still defend Zwan, a little, but then Billy came out with his solo record TheFutureEmbrace. And then he got the Pumpkins “back together” to do Zeitgeist. And ever since then I've found it difficult to care about what they do. Sadder still, I find it more difficult now to go into the back catalog of all those songs I used to love.

Although whenever I'm at Record Theater now, I can't help but drool over that $127 6-disc Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness reissue...

And now here's my song to Billy Corgan:




  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment