Monday, February 2, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 2

Day 2 

TODAY'S SONG:
"I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian

 NOTE: Unfortunately, I don't think this song is available on the internet, so I instead posted a different song by damian, “Soul Night,” which I like a whole lot.

If you don't know, Damian is a singer/songwriter from Buffalo. A few years ago, I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a post by my friend Sonny. He had written a glowing paragraph about an album that had just been released by a couple of his friends Damian and Brandon called “Soul Night.” I clicked the link and enjoyed the titular song immensely (you can hear it up above). I started listening to the album constantly. In the car, in the kitchen, humming it to myself at work. Wherever!
Bryan Johnson playin' the open mic.

Still, I had no real idea who Damian was for a good while, until my friend Bryan invited me to go with him to the Nietzsche's Monday night Open Mic. We both played a couple songs and watched some other people singing. Bryan ran across Allen Street for some reason and came back to let me know that they were starting to do another Open Mic at Hardware called “Inventory Mondays,” run by Kevin Cain, who was running the great downtown Buffalo venue The Vault at the time. We signed up to play on an old typewriter set up by the stage area and enjoyed a couple $2 PBRs. That was when I first saw Damian play. I came up to him afterwards to tell him how much I liked “Soul Night,” and he said something like, “Thanks, I like that thing too.”

I started going to Inventory Mondays at Hardware every Monday night for a while, which I loved. Some awesome musicians showed up, people read their haikus and poetry, and I got to play a few songs on a weekly basis. On one of those occasions, I asked Damian if he had any other music. He told me he had this one album called “Be My Home” that he hadn't really released, but he emailed it to me a couple days later. This song is the first track off that album. If you want to hear it, you should email Damian and ask him for it!

And here's my song:


1 comment:

  1. Your song would be OK without the other, but having SoulNight with it, and the essay, adds a lot! Also, makes me feel that I know a lot more about the other guests at your wedding

    ReplyDelete