Saturday, February 21, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 21

Day 21

TODAY'S SONG:

"The Whole Of The Law" by Yo La Tengo

So really the first thing that jumps to my mind about Yo La Tengo is this one time I was watching the Upright Citizens Brigade and noticed that one of them was wearing a Yo La Tengo t-shirt. Later on in another episode, they started playing a Yo La Tengo song in a sketch taking place at a party. And I got really excited, thinking, “Not only are they the funniest people on the planet, they also like good music!” I think it was Matt Besser, who has featured some great music on his podcast improv4humans, including David Bazan of Pedro the Lion.

Kayleigh and I actually listened to that episode while we were driving to Florida last April. I think I've been thinking about Florida a lot because of the cold weather we've been having. The drive was already supposed to be something like 13 hours, but somewhere around North or South Carolina we ran into some crazy slow traffic. So really, thank God for improv4humans, probably the funniest podcast that exists. It is hard sitting in a car and knowing that you could probably walk faster. At least there was warm air and we could sit with our windows down, knowing that by midnight or so we would be in Florida.
A typical night in Florida with the family: cards, wine, probably some off-camera pizza.
The penguins in our backyard.
Addie likes to chase penguins.
...it's cold.
This morning I let my dog Addie out in the backyard. I was surprised that the air wasn't bitter cold, so I stood outside with her for a few minutes. I think I've underestimated warmth. It's really good. My shampoo was frozen solid yesterday, for pete's sake. It's been too cold, I'm ready to boycott this weather. So is Addie. In the summer, she'll run into the yard and just stand there, sucking up the sun. Since the beginning of January, she runs a little loop, does her business, and runs right back inside. And this morning, 30 degrees Fahrenheit felt pretty good out there.

Well, here's to another winter day closer to summer.

With only one week of February to go, here's my song:



  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • Day 5: "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  • Day 6: "Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies
  • Day 7: "Type Slowly (live)" by Pavement
  • Day 8: "Get Lost" by Tom Waits
  • Day 9: "The Monkey Versus The Robot" by Piebald
  • Day 10: "Omaha" by Tapes 'n Tapes
  • Day 11: "Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs
  • Day 12: "6th Street" by Space Wolves
  • Day 13: "Protagonist" by They Might Be Giants
  • Day 14: "Mellow Out" by JEFF the Brotherhood
  • Day 15: "New Partner" by Mark Kozelek
  • Day 16: "Love Me, I'm a Liberal" by Phil Ochs
  • Day 17: "Snowball" by Louis Armstrong
  • Day 18: "Faites De Beaux Reves" by Julie Doiron
  • Day 19: "Our Singer" by Pavement
  • Day 20: "Calgary" by Bon Iver
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment