Saturday, February 14, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 14

Day 14

TODAY'S SONG:

"Mellow Out" by JEFF the Brotherhood


This song appears on an eMusic SXSW 2011 free sampler of six songs. According to iTunes, I never listened to these songs. And I can believe it. While we were in the Adirondacks, I downloaded a bunch of free mp3 samplers and proceeded to never listen to them. If they started with a band I liked a lot (Superchunk, Pavement,what have you) then I'd listen to the first few songs.  Inevitably, there would be a song that wasn't very good, and then I'd switch over to WTF with Marc Maron. This particular sampler was added to my iTunes library between Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, and The Avett Brothers. It never had a chance. It does however start with a strong track from Hurray for the Riff Raff, a band I only just learned about that I enjoy immensely. What can you do? Too late to go back now and force myself to listen to it.

Well, due to the fact that I downloaded this song in 2011 and the fact that it's Valentine's Day, this song immediately makes me think of our little Saranac Lake apartment. I came home that Valentine's Day to find a “love fort” that Kayleigh had built out of sheets and pillows in the corner of our living room. We had sushi and wine for dinner and spent the night watching romantic movies. Pretty damn good!

This started an annual tradition of Valentine's love forts, which I actually already sang about in a song I wrote for last year's fun-a-day project. We almost never get to celebrate the actual 14th together since Kayleigh is traditionally working that day. So truthfully, in my mind, tomorrow is the real Valentine's Day. And the weather forecast predicts a high of 0 for tomorrow, which gives us a perfect excuse to not do anything except stay inside.

Here's my song, which is more so based on our very first Valentine's Day together:



  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • Day 5: "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  • Day 6: "Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies
  • Day 7: "Type Slowly (live)" by Pavement
  • Day 8: "Get Lost" by Tom Waits
  • Day 9: "The Monkey Versus The Robot" by Piebald
  • Day 10: "Omaha" by Tapes 'n Tapes
  • Day 11: "Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs
  • Day 12: "6th Street" by Space Wolves
  • Day 13: "Protagonist" by They Might Be Giants
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment