Thursday, February 5, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 5

Day 5

TODAY'S SONG:

"Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers


Of course my first memory of this song comes from “Canine Mutiny,” an episode of The Simpsons where Bart buys a new dog, Laddie, and gives Santa's Little Helper away. A blind man ends up buying SLH. At the end of the episode, Laddie reveals that the blind man has marijuana in his pocket. Bart takes SLH home, while Chief Wiggum and the rest of the force throw a party at the blind man's house. “Jamming” plays during the closing credits.

I wasn't all that interested in Bob Marley until about a year and a half ago when I went with Kayleigh and her coworkers to a bar after they had finished working. It was somewhere in the suburbs, but I honestly have no idea where it was. It was dark and we were following them through the backstreets and I completely lost my sense of direction. We were shooting darts and sharing a pitcher when the song “Buffalo Soldier” came on the jukebox. It was one of those songs that I've heard a lot, but I had never really listened to, if you know what I mean. And it was a jarring moment, to realize how good of a song it was; and to think that I had neglected it for forever.


The final thing this reminds me of is a time when I was visiting my girlfriend at the time in Fredonia while I was in school at Duquesne. She was taking a Music Appreciation course and, since it was a large lecture class, I was able to sneak in with her unnoticed. At the end of the class, the professor gave a “ticket-out-the-door” assignment which was something like, “What album did Time magazine name as the best of the 20th century?” Even though he had mentioned several times throughout the class that it was Exodus by Bob Marley, I decided to be a smart ass and write, “It was Sargent god damn Peppers, by the god damn Beatles” (Although, to be honest, I was probably a little bit more profane).

The next week I was back in Pittsburgh and got a text from my girlfriend saying, “My professor just wrote this on the blackboard: 'See me after class: Alex Berkley.'”

And here's my song that honestly somehow relates to this blog post:


  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment