Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 17

Day 17

TODAY'S SONG:

"Snowball" by Louis Armstrong

Sometime prior to high school, I slowly started to get into jazz. I'm actually not sure how or why, but I remember thinking Louis Armstrong had a very unusual and beautiful voice. My mom took a trip to New Orleans and came back with a couple CDs for me, including a Louis Armstrong greatest hits; a great primer for anyone who's never understood jazz, but is ready to take that leap.

I joined the BMG record club in 1996 or 1997, getting' all my 15 CDs for a penny each or whatever. I'd get the monthly catalogs tailored to my tastes, so there was the Alternative Rock section and the Jazz and Classical sections. This was indeed a great way to learn about big names in jazz. There were always Miles Davis and John Coltrane CDs. Without ever hearing a note, I knew those guys must be pretty good.

“Snowball” is from “The Complete RCA Victor Recordings,” a 4-CD set. That's pretty overwhelming. I used to put them in at random while I was falling asleep. I love how Louis occasionally cracks up while recording the vocal tracks. Or how he giggles at the conclusion of a verse, like it's the first time he's ever thought about the words that he's singing.

When I first started to write music, I used to listen to jazz in the background, hoping that I would just suck it all up and learn how to play it by ear. That never happened. Turns out, jazz is harder to play than folk and rock'n'roll. I was always a little envious of my music school guitarist friends who were in the jazz program. But the truth is guitar is the worst instrument in jazz. Well, flute would give it a run for its money, but there are only about three or four jazz guitarists who I really love. Django Reinhardt being my favorite guitarist of all time. And Charlie Christian. And…well, it's a short list.

A few more things Louis Armstrong reminds me of: Playing tennis with my friend Dylan; going to some fancy dinner with my friend Tim in the Summer with “Hello Dolly” and “Blueberry Hill” stuck in my head; buying the LP Hello Dolly with Kayleigh last month when my dad got us a working record player for Christmas; listening to “What a Wonderful World,” over and over again, and believing it.

Here's my song that is very loosely based on these memories:




  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • Day 5: "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  • Day 6: "Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies
  • Day 7: "Type Slowly (live)" by Pavement
  • Day 8: "Get Lost" by Tom Waits
  • Day 9: "The Monkey Versus The Robot" by Piebald
  • Day 10: "Omaha" by Tapes 'n Tapes
  • Day 11: "Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs
  • Day 12: "6th Street" by Space Wolves
  • Day 13: "Protagonist" by They Might Be Giants
  • Day 14: "Mellow Out" by JEFF the Brotherhood
  • Day 15: "New Partner" by Mark Kozelek
  • Day 16: "Love Me, I'm a Liberal" by Phil Ochs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment