Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 25

Day 25

TODAY'S SONG:

"Whether U Like It Or Not I Love U" by The Frogs


The Frogs were introduced to me by my brother, on one of the first mix CDs I ever got. Not knowing the name, Jory wrote the track title as “Frogs?” Turns out that was a special little song about Grandma. (NOTE TO GRANDMA: Do NOT click that link!) I performed that song at one of three Fredonia shows I played at The Caboose. It got weird when I started to improvise. Improv in music has never been my strong suit.

However, my friend Colin is a genius at comedy and improv. Back in high school, we started a band together as a way of quitting the band we were currently in. The band was called McNasty. We wrote and recorded songs on the spot, some of which were pretty hard to listen to, but some which I still love.
Unfortunately, it seems that the only picture I have of McNasty is all of us with our pants down.
I'm not gonna post that online without permission from the other people in the picture with their pants down.
So here's a picture of Bruce on a toilet.
For example, on the first day that we were a band, Colin noticed an autographed picture of Levar Burton hanging on my wall which I had received when I was about five years old. He came up with lyrics to some chords I put together on the spot. The lyrics begged Levar Burton to come through the TV and be Colin's mom, and the song ended with Colin saying, “Make love to me Levar Burton.” It was brilliant.

You gotta love him.
For quite a while that summer, we would string the microphone to the ceiling and record whatever we came up with at that moment. It was probably the most content I've ever been musically. Then we also had a radio show on the Fredonia college station. We came up with a couple songs there, the best being “HP,” a song about a little orphan wizard boy who stole flying cars and chased snitches on his broomstick.

Somehow we played a mock bonfire show in the Fredonia High School gym, where I dressed up in an old pig costume I'd had when I was much younger. But shortly after that show, we stopped playing and McNasty “broke up.” We had a “reunion show” in my living room in 2003, but soon after that Colin joined up with the USA army and moved to Korea.

Still, McNasty lives on, in the hearts of every kid with a dream and a song to sing without knowing the words.

Here's my song, complete with a couple McNasty clips:




  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • Day 5: "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  • Day 6: "Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies
  • Day 7: "Type Slowly (live)" by Pavement
  • Day 8: "Get Lost" by Tom Waits
  • Day 9: "The Monkey Versus The Robot" by Piebald
  • Day 10: "Omaha" by Tapes 'n Tapes
  • Day 11: "Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs
  • Day 12: "6th Street" by Space Wolves
  • Day 13: "Protagonist" by They Might Be Giants
  • Day 14: "Mellow Out" by JEFF the Brotherhood
  • Day 15: "New Partner" by Mark Kozelek
  • Day 16: "Love Me, I'm a Liberal" by Phil Ochs
  • Day 17: "Snowball" by Louis Armstrong
  • Day 18: "Faites De Beaux Reves" by Julie Doiron
  • Day 19: "Our Singer" by Pavement
  • Day 20: "Calgary" by Bon Iver
  • Day 21: "The Whole of the Law" by Yo La Tengo
  • Day 22: "Tonight You Belong To Me" by Eddie Vedder
  • Day 23: "Look Forward To The Moon" by Lane Shift
  • Day 24: "Spiderwebs" by No Doubt
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment