Friday, February 27, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 27

Day 27

TODAY'S SONG:

"Don't Call, Marylin" by Tickley Feather

I've never heard of Tickley Feather and I've definitely never heard this song before. It came on another of those free mp3 mixes I downloaded and forgot about forever. This one is the Insound CMJ 2009 Digital Sampler. Insound and CMJ were my two biggest sources of finding out about new music for a while. But what this song ends up reminding me of is something completely different.

Sean Mikula lookin' at my Kid A special edition
Photo from about 15 years ago
It reminds me of a mix CD that my friend Sean made for me a few years back, which he titled, “Dude, you like Weezer?” (or something like that), a reference to when we first met in high school. We were in the same Chemistry class. Our teacher had us line up by shoe size as an ice breaker activity. I was wearing a Weezer t-shirt, which Sean immediately noticed. He said something like, “Dude, you like Weezer?”

I didn't really know anyone else at the time who liked Weezer, so I was pretty shocked. Sean told me he had been to the Weezer show in Buffalo a couple weeks before, a show I had been dying to go to, but couldn't either because of fiscal reasons or a conflicting family trip (I can't remember which). We became fast friends, with many a debate over which song was best on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and whether or not any given band sucked.

Flash forward 10 years and Sean made me this mix CD. I know I didn't have a chance to listen to it for a while, until Kayleigh and I had to take a little road trip to Burlington, VT for a graduate school interview I had. I think it was my second time going to Burlington. We drove for about an hour, took a ferry to cross the lake, and drove through some beautiful Vermont country roads. I definitely felt like I could see myself living in that state.

Of course we did not move to Vermont. It was very windy that day in Burlington. Even though my interview went well, that program was much more expensive and time consuming than what I was looking for. But Kayleigh and I had a great time walking around Church Street and by the waterfront where some race was going on, and we ate at some awesome vegetarian restaurant. Sean's mix had a bunch of reverb soaked vocals, synthesizers, and tremolo guitars (I dunno why the Besnyo guy would make me a CD like that). It was a perfect soundtrack for a short vacation.

Well, I tried to write a song about this, but it turns out I'm too distracted by the passing of Leonard Nimoy, so I wrote about that instead.  One day left!




  • Day 1: "One More Goodbye" by M. Ward
  • Day 2: "I'd Be Wrong Were I To Say I Loved You Not Quite Or Almost Always" by damian
  • Day 3: "If" by The Flaming Lips
  • Day 4: "Age of Innocence" by Billy Corgan
  • Day 5: "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  • Day 6: "Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies
  • Day 7: "Type Slowly (live)" by Pavement
  • Day 8: "Get Lost" by Tom Waits
  • Day 9: "The Monkey Versus The Robot" by Piebald
  • Day 10: "Omaha" by Tapes 'n Tapes
  • Day 11: "Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs
  • Day 12: "6th Street" by Space Wolves
  • Day 13: "Protagonist" by They Might Be Giants
  • Day 14: "Mellow Out" by JEFF the Brotherhood
  • Day 15: "New Partner" by Mark Kozelek
  • Day 16: "Love Me, I'm a Liberal" by Phil Ochs
  • Day 17: "Snowball" by Louis Armstrong
  • Day 18: "Faites De Beaux Reves" by Julie Doiron
  • Day 19: "Our Singer" by Pavement
  • Day 20: "Calgary" by Bon Iver
  • Day 21: "The Whole of the Law" by Yo La Tengo
  • Day 22: "Tonight You Belong To Me" by Eddie Vedder
  • Day 23: "Look Forward To The Moon" by Lane Shift
  • Day 24: "Spiderwebs" by No Doubt
  • Day 25: "Whether U Like It Or Not I Love U" by The Frogs
  • Day 26: "Romulus" by Sufjan Stevens


  • No comments:

    Post a Comment