Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 18

Day 18

TODAY'S SONG:

"Faites De Beaux Reves" by Julie Doiron

Aw yeah, Julie Doiron is another of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters. Kayleigh and I have seen her twice, first for NXNE fest in some little Canadian town (Burlington, not VT) and more recently two years ago in Toronto. I started listening to her album Julie Doiron & Wooden Stars on repeat in my senior year of high school. Most of her music is devastatingly beautiful and heartbreaking. “Faites De Beaux Reves” is from Desormais, an all French album that Doiron made.

So that first show that we went to, I remember slowly crossing the bridge to enter Canada while listening to Spoon's Kill the Moonlight. I think Kayleigh was still going to school at FIT, but she had either just graduated or she was close to graduating. We had dinner at Pizza Pizza, a Canadian chain that was comparable to Little Caesar's. If you've ever watched a Canadian hockey team on television, you have seen Pizza Pizza advertised on the boards. It is okay.

Looks high quality, eh?
The show was memorable for many reasons. It was a small club and Doiron was walking around in the crowd beforehand. I was all star-struck. While she was playing, there small group of annoying drunk high school kids who were hooting and hollering. I thought it strange that these kids would want to get wasted and dance at a Julie Doiron concert, since her music is mostly kinda sad and slow. It sort of seemed that they had just stumbled in, until Doiron was taking requests at the end, and one of the most annoying kids yelled out, “Ce Charmant Coeur!!!” And Julie said, “Oh, I don't know if I can remember that one.” And the kid, with a strange burst of passion appearing in his eyes, yelled back, “But I love it!” She ended up playing it, and playing it well, and I sure loved it too.

When we saw her two years ago, it ended up being one of the coldest visits to Toronto I've ever had (It was just about as cold as Buffalo has been this week). We still managed to have a good time in one of the world's best cities. We bought some records (that we couldn't listen to for years because of our record player curse), Kayleigh bought some awesome stickers, fabrics, etc., we stayed at a hotel in walking distance to the bar where Julie was playing. This venue was huge, packed with Canadian hipsters of all ages. Again, Doiron was just there in the crowd at a booth selling her CD. This time, Kayleigh walked up to her, talked to her, and got our CD signed. I was too star-struck again.   

Well, here's my song:

No comments:

Post a Comment