Friday, February 6, 2015

Fun-a-Day 2015 - Day 6

Day 6

TODAY'S SONG:

"Gentle and Delicate" by Maudlin Maladies



I'm going to tell you the truth. I'm not going to lie to you today: I don't have a strong attachment to this song. Back in the day, when I was doing open mics every Monday, I would start my night off a little early at Nietzsche's. Josh, the host, selected a different local act each week to play for an hour prior to open mic kickoff: the “Monday Night Showcase.” (NOTE: This actually still happens and I will be playing the Monday Night Showcase at Nietzsche's with Sonny Baker on February 16th. Mark your calendars!)

One of those Mondays is when I saw Maudlin Maladies. It was a duo, a lead singer on an acoustic guitar and a fella on stand-up bass. I remember walking in and loving the song they were playing. It reminded me of Leonard Cohen. It's always such a treat when you walk into a bar and feel entranced by the music right off the bat. I think the singer was giving away CDs, so I picked one up. Maybe I gave him a few bucks for it. It's a crap-shoot of a memory.
I guess this is a related memory...?

Here are some random things this song reminds me of:
  • Dangerously listening to my iPod while biking to work
  • Old men playing accordion in a dimly lit corner of the bar
  • Red hand-me-down sweater vests that don't fit me right
  • The Greyhound stop at Edinboro that signaled that Erie was less than an hour away
  • Putting a bookmark in whatever Vonnegut novel to stare out the window and listen to Pavement
And here's my song:




No comments:

Post a Comment